Big Fish at Siglap

I had to collect a pair of speaker stands for my about to be purchased bookshelf speakers for the bedroom. I secured the help of my long time buddy from secondary school to accompany me in this egregious task. The collection point was in Jalan Tua Kong and after we successfully found and collected the stands, the quandary of where to eat was next. We decided on BIG FISH at Siglap. Not to be confused with the over advertised over marketed over fried Fish and Co, this is a totally, well, not totally different type of seafood place.

We walked in at around 9 at night and it wasn't that crowded. My buddy was single so I suggested to him that he should bring his future dates there. There is just something about the place that I like. Its small and cozy, service is okay. The most important thing is that the ambiance fit the food we were eating. My wife as usual ordered the Fish and Chips and my buddy and I shared the seafood platter - which was a combination of grilled fishes, prawns, squid, mussels, scallops, some greens and butter rice. I call it pilaf but I digress. Out of itchiness, I ordered a side order of seafood anitpasto.

What is the value of an appetizer if it is not served first! Unlike many other restaurants in Singapore, BIG FISH actually serves the appetizer first. That made me happy. There was a combination of smoked salmon, grilled prawns, some kind of lobster salad, squid in smoked bbq sauce with grilled red and yellow peppers in the middle. I can't complain about the food. It was alright. It wasn't great, but it did stir up some appetite.

Then came the fish and chips. My wife commended that the fish and chips were smaller than before. And I agreed with her. Not that they're tiny, but they were much smaller in volume than before. But it was still as tasty. It was fried just right and chips were done perfectly. When my seafood platter came, I was happy as well. My buddy and I chowed down the entire platter in 10 mins. Man, I just salivated. Anyways, the seafood was good. There are potentially so many ways to screw up simple grilled seafood, but this restaurant did not. The prawns were proper, the mahi mahi fish was seasonsed perfectly, the squid and mussels were a lovely combination with the pilaf and green salad did not look out of place at all. The fries were in tip top condition.

The service was good. I think we spoke with the owner a little. I don't know if he is the owner but it was a big white man from Croatia that studied in the United States. I think. At least that was where the conversation went. The water was refilled on time and the food came out at the right time.

The total meal was $92. It is a little on the steep end but I think if we did not order the Antipasto, which wasn't great, it would have been just right.

This place is great for a date. Come either really early before dinner or have a late dinner. Its quiet, its cozy. I think its a hidden gem in a very crowded restaurant scene at Siglap. And I hope it stays this way.

food: 7/10
service: 7/10
value: 6/10

Hope this helps.

No comments: