Blooies at Jalan Tua Kong

For some of you who have been paying attention to this blog, you might already know that I live in the east. I am an East Coast kind of guy with a West Coast attitude. If that means anything. Last week, I went to this place to collect a pair of speaker stands that I purchased online. That restaurant caught my eye because it was really unusual.

When you turn into Jalan Tua Kong, what you see initially is a small coffee shop on the left and just a bunch of terrace houses. What most people don't know is that after the row of terrace houses, there is actually a restaurant and its called Blooies. I have to say, I thought the title reminded of boobies, but that's just me. The entrance is lited with some tiki torches and immediately you think its a beer place. I was seated with the bar behind me and a wall filled with what I think is pictures of happy and satisfied customers on the other wall, fenced by a lot of branches. Its pretty much an open air place but it is strangely cool. The place is of an average size, not too big, and the ambiance was perfect for the food it was serving. It was calm, relaxed, a wee bit noisy and a good mix of the hip East Coast crowd.

We ordered burgers. All 3 of us. My buddy ordered the mushroom cheese burger, the missus ordered the bacon cheese burger, and I ordered the wrong thing. At least I was told that way. I asked for a double bacon cheese burger, but its actually called a double cheese bacon burger. I thought the name was strange because double bacon denotes 2 slices of bacon, whereas double chess would mean 2 slices of cheese? But my burger contained neither 2 slices of cheese nor 2 slices of bacon. What it had 2 slices of was 2 slices of beef patty. Semantics? Maybe. I was curious after I was corrected by the server.

Talking about the server. I have to say that this place needs more servers. There were only 2 ladies serving what I thought was about 25 people. Service was abit slow and the food took awhile. I am okay with waiting for food if the restaurant is cool and there were 2 televisions there. So time passed pretty fast. Everyone around me was ordering steaks and ribs. So maybe this might be a good place for those some other day? The servings also looked huge. So I was happy.

We got our half dozen of mussels in tomato sauce as appetizer. It was alright. Nothing to tell mum about. The sauce was a little spicy and mussels were very mussel like. When the burgers came. I was ready. Have you ever picked up a burger and realized that you can't put it down once you pick it up because its either so darn thick and so darn big that if you did put it down, everything was going to fall apart? My burger was THAT burger. @ thick patties with cheese and bacon. No ketchup and mustard, those condiments are self served in a basket on the table and filled with lettuce and onions. Once I picked it up. I had to keep knowing at it. The burger was done medium well, everything was dripping, but the burger was juicy and tasted like a real burger. I liked it. The buns were nice and warm and were done just the way I like it, which is slightly toasted. The Cajun fries were perfect. Hot and spicy. Just like the Cajun fries I have had in Louisiana! The only downfall for this burger was the inclusion of coleslaw on my plate. I don't understand why there is coleslaw on the plate. COLESLAWS DO NOT GO WITH BURGERS. I left it untouched showing what I thought of it.

My buddy and my wife enjoyed their burgers. They didn't love it. But they thought it was pretty good. Burgers. Love them. I thought this was one of the better burgers I have had in Singapore. I would recommend this place to people. Bring your date. Its a cozy place and it'll make your date think you're in the know for,"cool places." Overall, the damage was about $69. My wife had a Mai Tai and the rest of us had water. My double something burger was only $16.

I think its good to come to a place like this every once in a while. Don't expect gourmet food. Expect good grilled burgers, steaks and ribs with fine ambiance.

Service: 5/10
Value: 6/10
Food: 7/10

Hope this helps.

No comments: