Yan Palace Tim Sum at Hong Lim Complex

My Mother is Cantonese. So I would like to believe that my taste for the Cantonese cuisine has to be pretty good. At least I think so. I have never been a big fan of Chinese food in particular and can live without it for a very long time even though I am from Singapore. What has actually started me to eat tim sum often is because my lovely wife has suddenly fallen in love with "char-siew."

We have been to many places for Tim Sum but the one place that I have always liked is Yan Palace at Hong Lim Complex. It is a pretty old style restaurant. Old wooden chairs with those big round tables. It even smells like an old restaurant. It feels like another country inside. The wait is always long on weekends and the tim sum crowd is pretty huge there. Sure, this place doesn't have the push cart type of tim sum but they make it up with the quality of the food. I always somehow go there in big groups and order 2 of everything. I love their char siew bao and char siew pastries. They taste fresh! Their century egg porridge is delicate and their lotus seed bao is something I dream about sometimes.

This new thing that they have, the banana and shrimp combo wrapped in a type of white skin is fantastic, their roasted meats taste great. The har gao and siew mai always heats up my cold body and the chee cheong fun is pretty good as well. I don't like the chicken feet but have been told by my friends who have tried it there that its pretty good.

Don't expect too good a service at this restaurant. But the quality is something you live by if the food is that good. The last thing is to expect the restaurant to be very noisy and you can't make reservations over the weekends.

Food: 7/10
Service:5/10
Value:6/10

One of the better Tim sum places to go to in Singapore.

Hope this helps.

No comments: